University of Southern California USC

Student Orgs and APIC

Posted on by lquinto

As one of those students who is also working full-time (you can tell by the slightly crazed look in our eyes), I haven’t been able to take advantage of as many outside-the-classroom opportunities as I would like, which other students give such wonderful snapshots of on this blog: domestic and international internships, alternative spring breaks, research, and an overwhelming amount of intellectually and creatively stimulating lectures and events.

There is one thing that I have managed to squeeze in, though, and I am so grateful that I have: student organizations. As a board member of Asian Pacific Islander Caucus (APIC), I have met and worked with some truly inspiring students both within and outside of my MPA program and across a broad range of interests, from social justice to women’s rights to bringing together the graduate policy administration community.

It has been a pleasure working with APIC’s board of second-year MPP students to put on meaningful, engaging, and fun programming that informs the Price community about important Asian Pacific Islander (API) issues as well as connects us to other student organizations. This semester, we brought three prominent API community leaders to USC to share their experiences with political campaigning and engaging API communities. We also collaborated with Graduate Policy Administration Community (GPAC), Partnership for an Equitable Los Angeles (PELA), Associated Students of Planning and Development (ASPD), Women Leading Policy, Planning and Development (WLPPD), and Sol Global on various community engagement, volunteer and networking events.

The open atmosphere of the student organizations at Price is refreshing and a great complement to classroom studies. I encourage you all to get involved!