Suggested Tips from a Price Ambassador
Moving to Los Angeles, the City of Angels!
Some daunting things can happen moving from one coast to another. Things you worry about include housing, roommates, transportation, furnishings, and more! I made the move from Florida to Los Angeles with 5 suitcases, 2 flights, and 1 filled car stuffed to the max. Some tips of advice I would give to you:
- Find a friend to stay with before deciding on your apartment lease.
- Ship or drive your car out to LA.
- Scout out public transportation options near apartment/house (bus or metro).
- USC has a graduate Metro TAP card that give you unlimited semesterly access to Metro! Definitely living on public transportation routes to school can save you money and time.
- If you have a car, find a apartment with parking included. Street parking is a hassle and potentially dangerous.
- If you don’t know anyone to stay with, find a lease/apartment before hand, and confirm the move in date.
- Buy a good mattress, but you can find second hand pieces of furniture for cheap at the flea markets or online postings or even neighbors moving out of your building.
- Suggested areas if you do not know anyone to live with: Downtown LA or Koreatown!
- Find a place with a convenient grocery store that is close in walking/driving distance or via public transportation.
- Signing a 2 year lease might be cheaper in case your landlord decides to raise rent.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to explore by yourself! LA has so many things to offer!
Some helpful websites in finding a place: